A new bundler by a team at Vercel, headed by Webpack creator Tobias Koppers:
- Vercel calls it the “successor to Webpack”.
- It’s written in Rust.
- Its architecture is focused on incremental generation.
- It supports Hot Module Replacement and React Server Components.
- Framework and tooling-wise, the initial focus is on supporting Next.js and Turborepo, but Vercel’s stated goal is for Turbopack to “work with all frameworks”.
There is also a 20-min. video on Turbopack
by Maia Teegarden (Engineering Manager at Vercel).
Babel 7.20.0: Deno target and TypeScript 4.9
- Support for TypeScript 4.9
- Deno compilation target (e.g. to target older versions of Deno)
- babel-loader 9.0.0
npm v9.0.0 released
Quoting the blog post: “Our goal with this major release was to standardize appropriate defaults and clean up legacy configurations where possible. We believe the changes made lay the ground-work for future improvements to the default npm experience long-term.”
Deno 1.27: major IDE improvements